Job Title: Program Officer
Department: Dissemination and Implementation
Reports to: Director, Dissemination and Implementation
The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) is authorized by Congress to conduct research to provide information about the best available evidence to help patients and their health care providers make more informed decisions. PCORI’s research is intended to give patients a better understanding of the prevention, treatment and care options available, and the science that supports
How to Apply
Please visit the link below to apply:
Under the direction of the Program Director for Dissemination and Implementation (D&I), the Program Officer (PO) will take a central role in supporting the program’s charge to increase awareness and uptake of PCORI research findings. The PO will provide leadership in the design and implementation of dissemination activities and contribute to funding initiatives and other activities within the Dissemination and Implementation Program. S/he will support the Program Director in strategic development of the program. The PO’s work will require close collaboration with other members of the D&I Program Team, as well as coordinating with departments across PCORI, direction and mentorship of D&I Program staff, and collaboration with external stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Play a lead role in the oversight of current PCORI dissemination activities and the development of new activities. Oversee development of content summarizing research findings in accessible language, and coordinate with stakeholders and others who provide input to PCORI projects.
- Support D&I Program activities in the translation of PCORI research findings to improve their accessibility to lay and professional audiences.
- Support the D&I Program Director in conceptualizing, refining and executing strategic objectives and directions for the Dissemination and Implementation Program. Work with the D&I Program Director to develop materials for PCORI committee and Board of Governors review, input, and approval.
- Represent PCORI externally and internally and as subject matter expert on Dissemination and Implementation.
- Mentor and manage D&I program staff (associates, assistants, interns) and other PCORI colleagues as appropriate or assigned.
- Contribute to, refine, and manage activities within D&I award programs as part of the D&I funding team as needed, including input to the planning and pre-award phases and funding decision processes.
- Provide feedback and input to D&I Program applicants on how their project ideas fit with D&I Program funding priorities. Provide oversight in post-award activities, including monitoring and overseeing projects funded through PCORI’s D&I funding initiatives.
- Very strong written skills; strong verbal communication and oral presentation skills.
- Broad familiarity with – and interest in – diverse areas of health services and/or medical research. Familiarity with the healthcare delivery system and the roles of various stakeholders.
- Ability to stay abreast of D&I Science and D&I best practices literature and incorporate relevant concepts into program initiatives and communications. Familiarity with shared decision-making literature is also helpful.
- Familiarity with comparative effectiveness research, including understanding of study design and analysis; ability to independently review and critique research reports.
- Ability to function in assigned areas of responsibility with a high level of independence.
- Able to synthesize material and focus quickly on the essence of an issue; able to identify major opportunities in a specific area; able to see the big picture.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Motivated to support PCORI’s mission and goals; ability to link organizational goals to individual department mission and activities.
- Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills; collegial, energetic, able to develop productive relationships with colleagues, stakeholders, awardees, consultants, external funders, and others who contribute to program development and management.
- Ability to travel, as required, to represent PCORI at external meetings.
- Doctoral degree in a field relevant to patient-centered outcomes research (e.g., health services research, sociology, psychology, health policy, program evaluation, education) plus minimum of three (3) years of relevant work experience -OR- Master’s degree in relevant field plus minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience demonstrating increasing responsibility.
- Applicants with advanced academic or professional credentials, extensive years of relevant health research experience, or relevant experience working in a funding organization/agency will be considered and may qualify for Senior Program Officer roles.
- Work experience in one or more settings (clinical or policy) where findings of patient-centered outcomes research are or can be implemented – i.e., work experience providing the applicant with a high level of knowledge of and familiarity with one or more target audiences for PCORI research findings.
- Experience handling and managing multiple priorities effectively; experience in work environments that require organizing time efficiently and having a high tolerance for ambiguity.
- Professional experience encompassing activities or responsibilities related to the dissemination and implementation of research findings; experience in managing change in a policy or health care delivery setting are encouraged.
* PCORI Staff Conflict of Interest Statement – No PCORI employee can receive a direct financial benefit from a healthcare related organization during the course of his/her employment with PCORI.
Now that you have read this far, it is time to submit an online application. Please apply online at https://pcoricareers.silkroad.com/. Check out our site and see what your potential possibilities are along with more detailed information about our organization.
PCORI conducts background and credit checks on all applicants.
PCORI is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity in our workforce.