Under the direction of the Program Director for Dissemination and Implementation, the Program Officer (PO) will take an active and central role in developing and managing new PCORI initiatives and activities in the translation, dissemination, and implementation of PCORI research findings, in this recently established program. The PO will contribute to the conceptualization and design of new initiatives that will disseminate the incoming results of PCORI studies, developing programs to reach diverse audiences and promote the uptake of evidence. The PO’s work will require coordinating with multiple departments across PCORI; in addition, it will require collaboration with external stakeholders in the development and management of an array of projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
General Program Responsibilities:
• Assists Program Director in identifying and implementing strategic objectives and directions for the Dissemination & Implementation Program, to meet mandated requirements for dissemination of PCORI findings and for addressing longstanding challenges in bringing evidence into practice.
• Provides oversight for major Contract and other Program activities focusing on the translation of PCORI research findings to improve their accessibility to patients, the general public, clinicians, and other audiences.
• Contributes to the design, develops, and provides oversight for Contracts, Funding Opportunities, and other Program initiatives to disseminate and/or implement PCORI research findings to diverse audiences, including patients, the public, clinicians, and policy maker audiences.
• Collaborates with staff from other PCORI departments including Science, Engagement, Communications, and Contracts Management, in conceptualizing and implementing program activities.
• Manages the work of and provides training for program associates, interns, administrative assistants, and consultants, as assigned by the Program Director, in initiation of new program tasks.
• Communicates the goals and activities of the PCORI Program on Dissemination and Implementation to internal and external audiences, including representatives of diverse stakeholder groups.
• Designs, develops, and implements PCORI funding announcements (PFAs) and contracts, including convening workgroup and advisory panel meetings and working with external organizations, consistent with PCORI’s processes.
• Advises potential applicants regarding their applications and the application process.
• Supports PCORI’s processes for reviewing and awarding applications received through PCORI funding announcements.
• Oversees and approves contract activities, providing input and guidance to maintain project direction consistent with program goals. Monitors awardees’ attainment of contract milestones.
• Conducts site visits; reviews awardee deliverables and progress reports.
• Develops and implements evaluation processes for relevant dissemination activities and reports on evaluation findings.
• Collaborates in these activities with other PCORI program staff, contracts management personnel, consultants, and external organizations.
Organizational Responsibilities and Contributions:
• Represents PCORI publicly regarding program direction, program funding, application processes, and award results.
• Participates in conferences, seminars, and other professional development activities to maintain and enhance expertise and professional status.
• Leads, contributes to, and participates in internal groups and teams and cross-cutting initiatives. Carries out other responsibilities as assigned by the Program Director.
• Keeps Program Director and team appraised of developments and occurrences in the field that are likely to affect program decision-making, strategies, and/or award decision-making.
• High level of understanding of the fields of evidence-based medicine and implementation science, and the principles of program evaluation.
• Knowledge and skills relevant to the translation and communication of research findings to lay and other audiences, including principles of health literacy.
• Knowledge of approaches to dissemination of research findings.
• Knowledge of approaches to promote uptake and use of research findings in target settings.
• Strong written and verbal communication and oral presentation skills
• Able to synthesize material and focus quickly on the essence of an issue; to identify major opportunities in a specific area; to see the big picture
• High level combination of creativity and knowledge
• Ability to link organizational goals to individual department mission and activities
• Personally motivated to support PCORI’s mission and goals; to work independently and in teams to think imaginatively about opportunities; to create and respond to innovative approaches to addressing an issue; to inspire others to work towards achieving team goals while being tolerant of ambiguity and change
• Strong organizational and project management skills
• Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills; collegial, energetic, able to develop productive relationships with colleagues, awardees, consultants, external funders, and others who contribute to program development and management
• Sound judgment and maturity, exemplified by consistent professionalism in dealing with individuals at all levels, both internally and externally
• Ability to make decisions, justify recommendations, and be responsive and clear with funding announcement applicants
• Ability to travel, as required, including for site visits and representing PCORI at external meetings
• Proficient in the use of technology.
• Doctoral degree in a field relevant to patient-centered outcomes research (e.g., health services research, sociology, psychology, health policy, program evaluation, education) plus minimum of two (2) years of relevant work experience -OR- a Master’s degree in relevant field plus minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience.
• Applicants with advanced academic or professional credentials, extensive years of relevant health research experience, or relevant experience working in a funding organization/agency will be considered and may qualify for Senior Program Officer roles.
• Work experience in one or more settings (clinical or policy) where findings of patient-centered outcomes research are or can be implemented — i.e., work experience providing the applicant with a high level of knowledge of and familiarity with one or more target audiences for PCORI research findings.
• Professional experience encompassing activities or responsibilities in translation and/or dissemination of research findings; experience in managing change in a policy or health care delivery setting.
• Experience handling and managing multiple priorities effectively; experience in work environments that require organizing time efficiently and having a high tolerance for ambiguity.
* PCORI Staff Conflict of Interest Statement – No PCORI employee can receive a direct financial benefit from a healthcare related organization during the course of his/her employment with PCORI.
Now that you have read this far, it is time to submit an online application. Please apply online at https://pcoricareers.silkroad.com/. Check out our site and see what your potential possibilities are along with more detailed information about our organization.
PCORI conducts background and credit checks on all applicants.
PCORI is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity in our workforce.