Key Papers and Books
- Brownson, RC, Colditz, GA, Proctor, EK (Eds) (2010) Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health: Translating Science to Practice. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Proctor, E., Silmere, H., Raghavan, R., Howmand, P., Aarons, G., Bunger, A., et al. (2010). Outcomes for implementation research: Conceptual distinctions, measurement challenges, and research agenda. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 38, 65-76. (PMCID:PMC3068522)
- Damschroder, LJ, Aron, DC, Keith, RE, Kirsh, SR, Alexander, JA, & Lowery, JC (2009) Fostering implementation of health services research findings into practice: a consolidated framework for advancing implementation science. Implementation Science 7;4:50 (PMID:19664226)
- Powell, B. J., McMillen, J. C., Proctor, E. K., Carpenter, C. R., Griffey, R. T., Bunger, A. C., Glass, J. E., & York, J. L. (2011). A compilation of strategies for implementing clinical innovations in health and mental health. Medical Care Research and Review, 69, 123-15 (PMID:22203646)
- Tabak RG, Khoong EC, Chambers DA, Brownson RC (2012) Bridging research and pratice: Models for dissemination and implementation research. American Journal of Prevention Medicine, 43(3):337-350. (PMID:22898128)
- Palinkas, L. A., Aarons, G. A., Horwitz, S., Chamberlain, P., Hurlburt, M., & Landsverk, J. (2011). Mixed methods in implementation research. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 38, 44-53. (PMID:20967495)
- Curran, GM, Bauer, M, Mittman, B, Pyne, JM, & Stetler, C. Effectiveness-implementation Hybrid Designs: Combining elements of clinical effectiveness and implementation research to enhance public health impact. Medical Care, 50(3): 217-226 (PMID:22310560)
- Stirman, S. W., Kimberly, J., Cook, N., Calloway, A., Castro, F., & Charns, M. (2012). The sustainability of new programs and innovations: A review of the empirical literature and recommendations for future research. Implementation Science, 7, 17. (PMID:22417162)
- Lyon, AR, Stirman, SW, Kerns, SEU, & Bruns, EJ (2011)Developing the Mental Health Workforce: Review and Application of Training Approaches from Multiple Disciplines. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 38, 238–253 (PMID:21190075)
- Beidas, R. S., & Kendall, P. C. (2010). Training therapists in evidence-based practice: A critical review of studies from a systems-contextual perspective. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 17, 1-30. (PMID:20877441)
- Schoenwald, SK, Mehta, TG, Frazier, SL, & Shernoff, ES (2013) Clinical Supervision in Effectiveness and Implementation Research Clinical Psychology Science and Practice 20: 44–59 (DOI: 10.1111/cpsp.12022)
Other Recommended Reading
- Aarons, G. A., Hurlburt, M., & Horwitz, S. M. (2011). Advancing a conceptual model of evidence-based practice implementation in public service sectors. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 38, 4-23.
- Creswell, J. W., Klassen, A. C., Plano Clark, V. L., & Smith, K. C. (2011). Best practices for mixed methods research in the health sciences. Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health.
- Curran, G. M., Mukherjee, S., Allee, E., & Owen, R. R. (2008). A process for developing an implementation intervention: QUERI Series. Implementation Science, 3, 17-28.
- Fixsen, D. L., Naoom, S. F., Blase, K. A., Friedman, R. M., & Wallace, F. (2005). Implementation research: A synthesis of the literature. 2005. Tampa, FL: The National Implementation Research Network, Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute, University of Florida.
- Glisson, C. (2002). The organizational context of children’s mental health services. Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review, 5, 233-253.
- Glisson, C., Schoenwald, S. K., Hemmelgarn, A., Green, P., Dukes, D., Armstrong, K. S., & Chapman, J. E. (2010). Randomized trial of MST and ARC in a two-level evidence-based treatment implementation strategy. Journal of consulting and clinical psychology, 78, 537-550.
- Graham, I. D., & Tetroe, J. (2009). Learning from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Quality Enhancement Research Initiative: QUERI Series. Implementation Science, 4, 13-18.
- Greenhalgh, T., Robert, G., Macfarlane, F., Bate, P., & Kyriakidou, O. (2004). Diffusion of innovations in service organizations: systematic review and recommendations. Milbank Quarterly, 82, 581-629.
- Hamilton, A. B., Cohen, A. N., & Young, A. S. (2009). Organizational readiness in specialty mental health care. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 25, Supplement 1, 27-31.
- Luck, J., Hagigi, F., Parker, L. E., Yano, E. M., Rubenstein, L. V., & Kirchner, J. E. (2009). A social marketing approach to implementing evidence-based practice in VHA QUERI: the TIDES depression collaborative care model. Implementation Science, 4, 64-75.
- McHugh, R. K., & Barlow, D. H. (2010). The dissemination and implementation of evidence-based psychological treatments: A review of current efforts. American Psychologist, 65, 73-84.
- Ross, S., Lavis, J., Rodriguez, C., Woodside, J., & Denis, J. L. (2003). Partnership experiences: involving decision-makers in the research process. Journal of Health Services & Research Policy, 8, Supplement 2, 26-34.
- Rubenstein, L., & Pugh, J. (2006). Strategies for promoting organizational and practice change by advancing implementation research. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21, Supplement 2, S58-S64.
- Sales, A., Smith, J., Curran, G., & Kochevar, L. (2006). Models, strategies, and tools. Theory in implementing evidence-based findings into health care practice. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21, Supplement 2, S43-49.
- Stetler, C. B., Legro, M. W., Rycroft-Malone, J., Bowman, C., Curran, G., Guihan, M., et al. (2006). Role of “external facilitation” in implementation of research findings: a qualitative evaluation of facilitation experiences in the Veterans Health Administration. Implementation Science, 1, 23-37.
- Stetler, C.B., Legro, M., Wallace, C., Bowman, C., Guihan, M., Hagedorn, H., et al. (2006). The role of formative evaluation in implementation research and the QUERI experience. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21, Supplement 2, S1-8.
- Stetler, C. B., Mittman, B. S., & Francis, J. (2008). Overview of the VA Quality Enhancement Research Initiative (QUERI) and QUERI theme articles: QUERI Series. Implementation Science, 3, 8-16.
- Weiner, B. J., Lewis, M. A., & Linnan, L. A. (2009). Using organization theory to understand the determinants of effective implementation of worksite health promotion programs. Health education research, 24, 292-305.
- Weisz, J. R., Chorpita, B. F., Palinkas, L. A., Schoenwald, S. K., Miranda, J., Bearman, S. K., et al. (2011). Testing standard and modular designs for psychotherapy treating depression, anxiety, and conduct problems in youth: A randomized effectiveness trial. Archives of General Psychiatry, 69, 274.
Melanie Barwick has developed some videos to capture high level messages related to implementation which can be used educationally to share knowledge about these concepts with a variety of audiences:
- Implementation of EBPs
- Implementation Teams
- Coaching and Implementation
- Fidelity and Implementation
- Implementation in Schools
The VA QUERI offers beginner level introductory lectures via webcast.
- Go to this website: http://www.hsrd.research.va.gov/cyberseminars/series.cfm#qi
- Scroll down to QUERI Enhancing Implementation Science (EIS) Cyber Seminar Series
- Click View EIS CyberSeminars
This is an evolving list that is still under construction. If you have additions, corrections, or suggestions, please email it to email@example.com with Resources in the subject line. Thank you.